Intro: Photo manipulation is always a fun to work on and also has the scope to explore more interesting techniques to get and interesting and unique output. In this tutorial we are going to cover important topics like:
- Creating advanced and realistic shadow effect.
- Digital painting.
- Discussing Depth of Field (DOF), how to add and create objects in the scene matching the DOF of the original image.
And many more interesting techniques of photo manipulation.
Preview of Final Result:
- Widow – xn3ctz
- Red Rose – sxc.hu
- Planets – kuschelirmel-stock
- Dead Tree – Wicasa Stock
- Apple – sxc.hu
- Black Bird – Fairiegoodmother
- Canvas Texture – powerpuffjazz
- Wall Texture – Texturepack
- Frame – chop-stock
- Cracks Brush – Funeralsong
- Grunge Brush – KeReN-R
- Metal Texture – Tigg-Stock
- Water Brushes – redhead stock
Step 1: Import Image of the Widow into Photoshop
Let the dimensions of the canvas remain same as the dimensions of the image.
Step 2: Create Objects Behind Woman
In this image we will be creating few objects behind the woman, hence we need to separate the widow into a new layer.
– Now select a mask around the woman as shown and separate the selection into a new layer.
Step 3: Add Magic Ball to Scene
It is said that our surroundings also play a major role in shaping our character. So we are going to create a magic ball closer to the scene that constantly oozes out black venom onto a red rose to depict this saying.
1) Create a black spherical sphere as shown.
2) Now to match the lighting of the scene, create a white shade on the black ball on the left side as shown.
3) Import the image of the Red Rose onto the canvas and place it in the bottom left corner as shown under the magic sphere.
4) Now by using the Brush Tool (B) paint some venom falling from the magic sphere onto the rose.
5) Select the water splash brush and paint the splash using black color on the rose to show the intensity of the venom falling on the rose.
Step 4: Maintain Image Depth of Field
We can observe that the focus in that main image is completely focused on the woman, so in order to maintain Depth Of Field we need to add a Gaussian Blur to the Magic sphere and the rose.
– Merge all the layers of Magic sphere, Dripping Venom and the Red Rose and name the layer as ‘poisoned rose’. Then with the ‘poisoned rose’ layer selected go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and add a Gaussian Blur of Radius 22.3px.
Step 5: Make Magic Sphere Look Solid
In this step we are going to add a planet texture to the magic sphere to make it look solid.
1) Import the image of the blue planet onto the working canvas and re-size it to the exact size of the black magic sphere.
2) Now in-order to maintain the depth of field in the scene add a Gaussian blur of radius 22.3px.
Step 6: Two More Balls with Gaussian Blur
Now similarly create two more magic spheres around the woman. Place the second magic sphere behind the woman layer that we separated in the step 2. Since the focus is on the woman and the magic spheres are flying around her by some distance, we need to add a Gaussian Blur to both magic spheres assuming the distance of the spheres from the woman.
Step 7: Texture of Magic Spheres
Similar to the step 5 add the planet texture to the two magic spheres we created in the previous step. Then to match the planet texture to brightness of the scene go to Image>Adjustments> Brightness/Contrast and increase the Brightness=103 and set the Contrast level to 25.
Step 8: Add Spooky Dry Tree into the Scene
In this step we are going to create a dry spooky tree in the scene. To create the tree we are going to cut different branches from a dry tree image and join them together to form the shape we require.
1) Import the image of the dead tree into Photoshop and cut the branches we require into different layers.
2) Now import a branch layer onto the working canvas and place it on the right side as shown.
3) Then arrange the different branch layers as shown to form a complete tree.
Step 9: Apple Hanging from the Tree
In this step we are going to create an apple hanging from the dead tree. This concept is inspired from the Adam and Eve story.
1) Import the image of the apple on to the working canvas and place it as shown above the head of the woman.
2) Since the light source is from the left side we need to create a shadow on the right side of the apple.
3) Then similarly create another apple on the right side just beside the woman.
Step 10: Evil Black Bird on Her Shoulder
In this step we are going to create a black bird representing the evil resting on the shoulder of the woman.
1) Import the image of the bird onto the working canvas and place it on the shoulder of the woman as shown.
2) Now create a shadow of the bird on the shoulder of the woman using the soft round brush.
3) Using the soft round brush paint the shadows in the highlighted areas on the bird.
Step 11: Create Title Text ‘VENOM’ to Background
Here we are going to create the title ‘VENOM’ in the background.
1) Type the title VENOM using the default Times New Roman font and place the layer behind the beneath the tree and woman layer.
2) Then add a Gaussian Blur of Radius 28px to match with the depth of field of the scene.
3) Then reduce the opacity of the title layer to 68% because we don’t require the title to be very dark.
Step 12: Make it Look Like Canvas Painting
In this step we are going to add a canvas texture on the image to make it look as if it was printed on a canvas.
Before we can proceed with this step we need to merge all the layers that we created till now. Then name the layer as venom.
– Import the image of the canvas onto the working area and reduce it’s opacity to 69%, then set the Blending mode of the layer to Overlay.
1) With the venom layer selected go to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation and set the Saturation level to -43.
2) Now create a Curves Adjustments layer above all the layers and set the curves as shown to get the following output.
Step 14: Frame Around the Image
In this step we are going to create a frame around the image we created. Before proceeding to the step we need to resize the canvas to Width=3234px and Height=4701px.
2) Cut one corner of the frame and place it as shown on the image.
3) Then duplicate the frame multiple times to complete the whole frame.
Step 15: Desaturate Frame Colors
Since we are creating a moody scene we don’t want the frame to be bright in color.
1) Desaturate the colors of the frame using the Curves.
2) Then by using the Exposure set the Offset value to -0.0551 and Gamma Correction to 0.82.
Step 16: Frame Shadows
In this step we will be creating the shadow to the frame.
1) Duplicate the image of the frame and turn the frame image into sehlloete using the Levels.
2) Now place the shadow layer under the main frame layer and move it slightly towards the bottom right corner as shown.
3) As we know that the shadows don’t have sharp edges, we need to add a Gaussian Bur of Radius 25.1px.
4) Then similarly create a shadow in the inner frame to create a natural depth comparing to the lighting of the scene.
Step 17: Make it Look Old with Torn Canvas Effect
In this step we are going to create the canvas torn effect to make it look old and worn out.
1) With the Eraser Tool(E) selected go to the brushes pallet and select the cracks brush and erase the venom layer as shown.
2) Follow step 16 to create the shadow under the torn edges of the canvas.
3) Now by using the grunge brushes paint the grunge around the torn edges as shown with the black color.
Step 18: Dark Wall Behind Portrait
The wall area behind the portrait has to be dark since it receives less light.
1) With the wall layer selected created a mask in the size of the frame using the Mask Tool (M).
2) Then by using the Brightness/Contrast reduce the Brightness to -106 and increase the Brightness to 31.
Step 19: Nameplate Under Frame
In this step we will be creating a nameplate under the portrait frame.
1) Import the image of the antique metal and mask out a portion of the metal required for the nameplate.
2) Then by using the Times New Roman font type in Mrs.VENOM on the nameplate and then with the nameplate layer selected, select the mask in shape of the font and separate the selection into new layer and the using the same mask erase the selection on the nameplate.
3) To show the depth of the name impression on the plate we need to darken the separated metal layer.
– Now by using the Brightness/Contrast reduce the brightness of the separated metal layer to -79 and set the contrast to 20.
– The by using the Exposure set the Exposure level to -0.57 and Gamma Correction to 0.94.
Step 20: Shadow Inside Edges
Follow the step 16 to create the shadow to the inside edges of the name impression we are creating.
Step 21: Water Flowing from Frame
In this step we are going to create water flowing from the frame.
1) Select the water fall brush and paint as shown using the black color.
2) Then by using the same brush paint with white color exactly on the black color we painted previously.
Step 22: Bird Flying from Frame
In this step we will be creating bird flying away from the frame.
1) Import the image of the bird onto the working canvas and place it as shown.
2) The by using Exposure set the Offset to -0.0061 and Gamma Correction to 0.82.
3) Since the bird is in motion we need to add Motion Blur to the edges of the wings and tail to create a natural depth. With the bird layer selected mask the edges of the wings and tail as shown using the Lasso Tool (L).
4) Then go to Filter>Blur>Motion Blur and change the Angle to 10 and set the Distance to 44px.
5) Then with the bird layer selected add a Gaussian Blur of Radius 1.0px.
Final Result of Surreal Fantasy Photomanipulation: